Monday night pizza that was supposed to be Sunday

Every now and then I attempt to make pizza from scratch.  I had the itch again, and made the dough for a Sunday night pizza fest.  Unfortunately, I forgot that I had agreed to go with a friend to see a contemporary home that was a fundraiser thing-a-madoo.  So the dough got put in the fridge to keep until tonight.  Monday night.

I stopped on the way home to get the toppings and went to work when I walked in the door.  (After admiring the work the painters had accomplished on the house today of course!)  The dough came out to stand at room temp, the onions got sliced and started caramelizing.

Homemade pizza dough...SO EASY!

I got all the toppings prepped to make two pizzas: caramelized onions, goat cheese, and sliced figs for the first one.  The 2nd pizza was classic: mozzarella and prosciutto.

The oven got cranked up to 475, the pizza stone was set on the bottom of the oven, and I made the first pizza up.  I rubbed the dough with some olive oil, spread the caramelized onions, tossed on the sliced figs, dropped in the goat cheese, then sprinkled with chopped rosemary.   The second was just pureed tomatoes spread on the dough topped with prosciutto and mozzarella torn up on top with some shredded basil leaves.

Toppings for yumminess!

Both pizzas went in the oven on the pizza stone for about 10 min on the pizza stone.  They were both delicious, but I think the prosciutto and mozzarella turned out better…the crust was thinner.  Next time I think I’d roll the dough out more so it is nice and thin.  I tried to do it with just my hands….not so much!

Can’t wait to have left overs for lunch tomorrow!



As close as it's getting to Neapolitan style made in the house!

The dough recipe:

Makes 1 dough ball, sufficient to make one 10-12″ pizza.


6 ounces (about 7/10 cup) warm spring or filtered water (ideally 105°F—no warmer)
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
9 ounces (just over 2 cups) “00” flour, plus more to dust
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more to coat
1 teaspoon sea salt

In a large mixing bowl, combine the 105°F water and the active dry yeast. Let proof 10 for minutes.

Add the flour, olive oil, and sea salt. Dust a work area and your hands with flour. Knead the dough by hand until it is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. This isn’t hard to do, since there is not much dough, and hand-kneading is the traditional approach. But you can use a stand mixing if you want: Mix on low for 2 minutes and then on medium-low until the dough is smooth, about 6 minutes.

Lightly coat a large bowl with olive oil. Transfer the dough ball to the bowl. Flip the ball over so as to coat both sides with the olive oil. Cover with a paper towel slightly-dampened with warm water and let rest in a warm part of the kitchen until the dough is about doubled in size, smooth, and tight, about 1 hour.

Punch the dough ball down with your fist (just what it sounds like). You can use the dough now. Or, ideally, refrigerator it overnight, covered by plastic wrap. Take it out 2-3 hours before ready to use it, covering the bowl with a damp warm towel.


One thought on “Monday night pizza that was supposed to be Sunday

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.