Thanks to my sister and Pinterest, I will be waking up the the awesome smell of Overnight Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal!! (Thanks sister and Pinterest! Squawk, squawk!) I love the idea of this recipe – I never have time to make steel cut oats in the morning. We will see how it executes, though. And by “we” I mean me. Unless you are at my house at 0600 tomorrow. And if you are, I suggest speaking softly and having a coffee in hand for me. Soy latte, thanks.
Credit for the recipe goes to the blog “The Yummy Life” (http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2011/03/159/Overnight%2C+Slow+Cooker%2C+Apple+Cinnamon+Steel-Cut+Oatmeal)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4 pts per 3/4 cup serving